State University of New York at Buffalo
- School Size
- Cost of Attendance
- Type of School
University/Intensive English Program
- Student Body Gender
- Religious Affiliation
- Scholarships for International Students
- Conditional Admission Available
Accreditation and Certification
Type of Housing
Residence Hall, Apartment, Dormitory
- Social Media
A Leading Public University
A major public research university in the northeastern United States, the State University of New York at Buffalo (SUNY-Buffalo), or University at Buffalo (UB), offers an outstanding education at an affordable price. Founded in 1846, UB offers the broadest selection of undergraduate and graduate programs of any public university in New York and New England. UB has a total enrollment of 28,000, which includes more than 5,000 international students from 110 countries.
Academic Offerings to Suit Every Interest
- More than 300 undergraduate, graduate and professional degree programs in the College of Arts and Sciences and 12 professional schools
- Excellent programs in bioinformatics and biomedical sciences, public health and health professions, pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences, management, engineering and applied sciences, architecture and planning, education, and social work
- Special joint academic/professional degree programs
A World-Class Education
- State-of-the-art campus built entirely within the last 40 years
- Largest library collection in the SUNY system, with nearly 4 million books, 25,000 serial subscriptions, and 5 million microforms
- Cutting-edge computer facilities, laboratories and high-tech classrooms
- Extensive research activities conducted at more than 50 major centers and institutes
A Rich Campus Life
The University at Buffalo offers Division I athletic programs; extensive recreation and entertainment facilities; 250 student clubs and organizations including more than 25 international student groups; and a busy calendar of general interest lectures, concerts, films, and other cultural activities on campus.
The university offers a variety of moderately priced on-campus accommodations, including traditional residence halls and new apartment-style units.
Services for International Students
The office of International Student and Scholar Services provides initial orientation and enrichment programs to UB's 5,000 international students and scholars. An orientation program is conducted for newly enrolled international students one week prior to the beginning of their initial fall or spring semester.
International applicants are evaluated for admission on the basis of their:
- Academic qualifications and credentials
- TOEFL or IELTS score
- Proof of financial support
Undergraduate applications may be submitted to International Admissions on an on-going basis. Graduate applications must be submitted to the individual departments; departmental deadlines vary.
Scholarships and Financial Assistance
Renewable Merit Scholarships of up to $15,000 are available to qualified international freshmen. UB has a Division I athletic program and offers athletic scholarships in selected sports. Graduate students may be eligible to receive fellowships and/or assistantships, including a waiver of tuition, offered by the departments.
English Language Institute
The University at Buffalo is home to one of the best English language institutes in the country. The English Language Institute offers intensive English programs in the fall, spring, and summer to international students preparing for higher education in the U.S.
Buffalo, The City of Good Neighbors
New York State's second-largest city, Buffalo has a metropolitan-area population of 1 million. Buffalo provides the attractions and convenience of a major urban center and the friendliness and affordability of a small town. Situated on the border with Canada, Buffalo is 20 minutes by car from Niagara Falls, and 90 minutes from Toronto. Suburban Amherst, home of the university's North Campus, is one of the safest communities of its size in the U.S.
Office of International Enrollment Management
411 Capen Hall
Buffalo NY 14260-1604