Texas A&M University-Texarkana is located conveniently between Dallas and Little Rock in the city of Texarkana. With academic enrollment ever growing and nearly 2000 students now, A&M-Texarkana is a four-year comprehensive institution offering baccalaureate and graduate degree programs serving residents in Northeast Texas, Southwest Arkansas and Southeast Oklahoma. Students enjoy a 375-acre campus and state-of-the-art amenities at Bringle Lake Village, the university’s on-campus residence hall. Over 30 student groups and extracurricular learning, athletic, and social activities allow students to explore A&M-Texarkana outside the classroom.
Intensive English Program overview
Texas A&M University-Texarkana’s Intensive English Program (IEP) offers an academically challenging and rewarding educational experience to our international students. The program focuses on developing the English language domains necessary for effective written and oral communication and critical reading and listening. It also targets the mastery of study and research skills, as well as proficiency in intercultural communication, required for optimal English as a Second Language (ESL) development. Formal instruction is combined with individual tutoring and lab activities in the afternoon. On weekends IEP student participate in cultural and social enrichment activities through field trips and participation in the host family program.
- Cost of living and cost of the program is one of the lowest in the state of Texas.
- Length of Study: 8 week-terms during the summer, fall (2 terms) and spring (2 terms).
- Proficiency levels: Beginning to advanced levels focusing on developing fundamental English skills and college preparatory targeting the development of English language skills required for admission to regular degree programs.
- Core courses: Reading and Vocabulary, Grammar and Writing, Communication.
- College preparatory courses: Academic Reading, Academic Writing and Advanced Grammar, Research Skills and Research Paper Writing.
- Small classes with highly qualified faculty provide instruction 20 hours per week, Monday to Friday, tutoring, and personalized academic support.
- 24-hour access to language software and laboratory activities in the afternoon
- Access to all university facilities and academic and student support services (wireless internet and computers, gym and recreational sports, library, clubs, campus and dorm amenities and recreation).
- The IEP, along with the International Studies Office, organizes one weekend trip (Dallas or Shreveport) in addition to various events on and off campus in Texarkana and nearby areas throughout the term for all international students.
Opportunities for Admission to Regular University Programs
IEP students at the College Preparatory Level may seek admission to the regular academic programs if they have met the academic requirements. Additionally International students must demonstrate proficiency in English for admission to degree programs. Language proficiency is met if the IEP student received a minimum grade of “B” in all courses in the College Preparatory Level and an advanced score on all sections of the ACCUPLACER ESL.
- College of Business: Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A.) Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.), Majors are offered in Accounting and Business Administration. Business Administration majors may choose a concentration in Finance, Management, Management Information Systems (MIS), Supply Chain Management, or Marketing.
- College of Education and Liberal Arts: The College of Education and Liberal Arts (CELA) is the largest college in the University and includes programs in liberal arts and education. Currently, students may choose from undergraduate degrees in English, history, political science, mass communications, psychology, sociology, criminal justice, applied arts and sciences, general studies or interdisciplinary studies. Graduate degrees include adult and higher education, communication, counseling, psychology, interdisciplinary studies, curriculum and instruction, English, history, instructional technology, and education administration.
- College of Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Nursing: Programs in engineering, technology, physical and biological sciences, computer and information sciences, kinesiology, biotechnology and mathematics.
For more information:
Texas A&M - Texarkana