ACHIEVE YOUR ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL GOALS THROUGH PERSONALIZED ENGLISH LANGUAGE INSTRUCTION AS YOU EXPERIENCE THE SPIRIT OF AMERICA AT OUR VIBRANT CAMPUS IN HIP AND HISTORIC SALEM, MASSACHUSETTS
Your University Experience in Salem and the Boston Metropolitan Area
At Salem State University (SSU), language learning extends beyond the four walls of the classroom to our campus filled with student-led events and to the many historical and unique cultural attractions in the local community. Students and over a million annual tourists enjoy the historic architecture, museums, world famous Halloween festival, and an eclectic mix of shops and dining options in downtown Salem.
A quick 30 minute ride on the train will put you in bustling downtown Boston with an endless variety of ethnic festivals and entertainment year round. Your opportunities to learn and practice authentic English are limitless!
About Salem State University
Situated in a historic seacoast town, Salem State University is one of the largest accredited state universities in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Salem State provides a diverse community of learners with a high quality, student-centered education that prepares them to contribute responsibly and creatively to a global society.
More than 10,000 students from 27 states, 5 continents, and 68 countries choose SSU for the quality of our faculty, and the multidisciplinary emphasis of our undergraduate and graduate degree programs including: Business Administration, Mathematics and Computer Science, Biology, Chemistry, Nursing, Education, Social Work, and Psychology among others.
Intensive English Program Highlights
- Results-driven courses for academic, professional, and general English purposes aligned to the Global Scale of English standards
- Personalized language instruction tailored to the needs of small groups of diverse learners
- Highly experienced and qualified faculty with master’s degrees who help students acculturate to life in the United States while infusing academic and career readiness skills into the curriculum
- Five levels of instruction from high beginning to advanced
- 18+ hours of instruction per week
- Guest lectures, workshops, conversation partners with Salem State students, and trips into Boston and surrounding areas
- Multiple start dates
- On-campus housing
- Free online application
Content-Based English Classes: Oral Communication, Integrated Reading and Writing
Focus Classes: American Culture; Business Communication; Citizen Journalism and Digital Storytelling; Creative Writing and Storytelling; Discover Salem; English through Drama; English through Film; English through Music; Global Issues in the Media; Service Learning
English Skill Booster Classes: Pronunciation, Grammar, Practical and Academic Vocabulary, Communication and Discussion Strategies, Academic Reading Strategies
Exam Preparation: TOEFL iBT; TOEFL ITP
Early September – Mid-December (14/15 weeks)
Mid-January – Early May (14/15 weeks)
Mid-May – Mid-August (12 weeks)
Mid-May – Late June (6 weeks)
Early July – Mid-August (6 weeks)
Students in the Intensive English Program have access to student services and activities on campus, including:
- Salem State Library
- 65 Student Groups (including International Student Association)
- Conversation Partners and Mentors
- Pool, Gymnasium and Fitness Center
- Free Shuttle Service (around campus and to downtown Salem)
- On campus medical center
- Sophia Gordon Center for the Creative and Performing Arts
- Spiritual Life
On-campus Housing & Meal Plans
Housing is available in our apartment style residence halls equipped with kitchens. Students have options to cook or take advantage of many meal plan options.
Tuition and Additional Costs
- Tuition for one semester is $3250 in the fall, spring and summer
- Tuition is $1625 for a 6-week summer session
- Health insurance coverage per semester is $1,471 in the spring/fall and $2,511 for combined fall, spring, and summer (August 1 – July 31).
- Other costs, including meals and housing, can be found here: https://www.salemstate.edu/students/27533.php
Don’t wait! Apply online in three simple steps. Visit the Salem State University Center for International Education website and click on “Apply Now” (http://salemstate.edu/cie).
For more information: