University of Illinois, Springfield (Intensive English Program)
- School Size
- Cost of Attendance
- Type of School
University/Intensive English Program
- Student Body Gender
- Religious Affiliation
- Scholarships for International Students
- Conditional Admission Available
Accounting, Business, Computer Science
Type of Housing
Residence Hall, Apartment
- Social Media
Experience Academic Success in the Heart of America
University of Illinois Springfield
UIS is one of three campuses of the world-class University of Illinois. UIS enrolls about 5,000 students from more than 30 countries. Choose from 23 undergraduate programs or 20 graduate programs including top quality programs in Business, Communication, Biology, Accountancy, Computer Science, Public Health, and Environmental Science, as well as many others. We have been ranked 4th best public university in the Midwest for the past four years by U.S. News & World Report.
Admission Requirements: 500/61 TOEFL for undergraduates and 550/79 TOEFL for most graduate programs. Conditional Admission is available for undergraduates. Learn more at www.uis.edu
UIS is a large, safe campus about a ten minute drive from downtown Springfield. With a population of 120,000, Springfield combines small town charm with larger city cultural and recreational opportunities. Springfield is easily accessible by plane and train. The nearest large cities of Chicago and St Louis are 3 hours and 1.5 hours away.
Intensive English Program
UIS’ Intensive English Program (IEP) provides a welcoming and challenging environment to improve your English skills and help you succeed at a US university. Our small program and class size allow for a close relationship between instructors and students to maximize individual learning goals. This helps students move quickly and smoothly into their degree programs. We have six levels from Beginner to Advanced. Students are placed into the appropriate level after an on-campus placement exam. Students can participate in weekly activities with other IEP students and UIS students to learn more about American culture, make friends with people from around the world, and gain confidence in your English conversational skills. Students do not need to provide English scores to attend the IEP.
The IEP accepts new students 5 times a year: August, October, January, March, and July. All sessions except the one beginning in July are 8-weeks long. The summer session is 6-weeks long.
- 22 hours of instruction a week
- Interesting and relevant classes in Speaking, Listening, Reading, Writing, and Grammar
- Free individualized tutoring
- Conversation Partner Program, Host Families, & other social activities with American students
- Weekly fieldtrips & activities (no additional cost)
- UIS-Administered English Exam offered each session
- Conditional admission for undergraduate students
- Comprehensive orientation
- Personalized student advising (admissions, academic & visa)
- Small program and class size allows for individualized instruction
- Professional, experienced, friendly faculty and staff
- Full use of all UIS campus facilities and services including the recreation center, library, and computer labs
- Free Airport pick-up upon request
Easy Transition to UIS Degree Programs
The ESL Program will help you coordinate your application to your degree program. Students can take the on-campus English proficiency exam each session. Students will meet with academic advisors and get registered for degree courses. Rolling admission (no application deadlines).
- Conditional Admission: Undergraduate students may be admitted conditionally. Conditionally admitted students are required to enroll in ESL courses either before or during their degree program.
- Full Admission: Graduate students must meet the English Language Proficiency Requirements and take qualifying exams before they begin their graduate program.
Please note that admission to IEP does not guarantee admission to UIS degree programs.
One University Plaza, MS UHB 1080
Springfield Illinois 62703