California State University Sonoma
American Language Institute
- School Size
- Cost of Attendance
- Type of School
University/Intensive English Program
- Student Body Gender
- Religious Affiliation
- Scholarships for International Students
- Conditional Admission Available
Business, Communication, English Language (ESL)
Accreditation and Certification
Type of Housing
Homestay, Apartment, Dormitory
- Social Media
The Sonoma State American Language Institute (SSALI) is located in scenic Northern California near the rural beauty of the world-famous Wine Country and one hour from San Francisco. The spectacular Pacific coast, impressive redwood forests, and numerous parks are only minutes from campus. California State University Sonoma is recognized for its beautiful, safe, and clean campus. SSALI is the perfect program for those desiring challenging classes taught in a supportive and family-like environment.
- The academic program is a professionally designed curriculum for students from high beginning to advanced levels of English proficiency.
- Students receive instruction in grammar, composition, oral communication, reading & vocabulary.
- Every class prepares students for the TOEFL/IELTS exam and success in university life.
- Class size averages 12-15 students. Students get a lot of individual attention.
- Great diversity in student population.
- Students study 20 - 25 hours/week. Classes are 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
- Up-to-date textbooks and multi-media materials are used for instruction.
- Reading and computer labs which provide opportunities for independent study.
- Students can select from a variety of special elective classes such as TOEFL Preparation, American Culture & Conversation, Pronunciation, Listening, Idioms & Slang, English through Music.
- The SSALI faculty are talented, dedicated professionals who really care about their students.
- Member of EnglishUSA/AAIEP. Accredited by WASC.
- University ID card for use of campus facilities: library, media resources, computer labs, recreation center, swimming pool, sports facilities
- Free wireless internet access in all campus buildings
- Conversation partner with an American student or community volunteer
- Attendance and graduation certificates
- College and university admissions assistance
- Personal counseling to help students with academic problems or cultural adjustments
- Schulz Information Center, the university library
- Green Music Center, a world-class performance hall
- Recreation Center with gyms, dance studios, climbing wall, weight room
- New Student Center with student lounges, cafeteria, and restaurants
- Airport pick-up service at San Francisco International Airport
- Supportive, family-like environment in a beautiful and safe community
Concurrent Enrollment and Conditional Admission
- Enrollment in university courses through Open University for advanced students
- Conditional admission into California State University Sonoma for eligible students
- TOEFL waiver for California State University Sonoma undergraduate programs for students who successfully complete the advanced level at SSALI
SSALI students have several housing options, and many choose a homestay; the cost is $875/month and includes 14 meals/week. Some students may choose a homestay without meals. All SSALI homestays are arranged through International Placement Services (ISP-http://isphomestays.com/college-programs/). On-campus housing may be available in the attractive townhouse suites or apartments. Off-campus apartments and shared rentals may also be available. Prices vary widely.
Each semester students enjoy a number of social and cultural activities. Students can join university groups like IEEC(international student club), Outdoor Pursuits (camping and hiking trips), JUMP (volunteer in the community), and Wine Club. The university also sponsors activities such as Asian Heritage Month and the International Film Festival. Students can also have a conversation partner, join lunch conversation groups, and attend plays, concerts and special sporting events. Many students participate in sports teams playing baseball, soccer, and volleyball. The cost for all activities is minimal. Some sample activities are:
- Welcome Pizza Party
- San Francisco & Alcatraz Trip
- Winery and Redwood Forest Tour
- Holiday Party
- Halloween Party
- Thanksgiving with an American Family
- Level parties or activities
- Potluck dinners at a teacher's home
- Sacramento Trip
- 6 Flags/Marine World Amusement Park
- Spring Dance Party
- Intramural sports
- Ice Cream Social
- Graduation Party
Calendar and Costs
|Spring Semester||14 weeks||Jan - May||$4000|
|Mid term Spring||7 weeks||Mid-March - May||$2000|
|Summer I||5 weeks||June - July||$1425|
|Summer II||5 weeks||July - August||$1425|
|Fall Semester||14 weeks||September - December||$4000|
|Mid term Fall||7 weeks||Mid October - December||$2000|
There are now 46 bachelor's degrees, 15 master's degrees and 9 credential programs and 8 undergraduate and graduate certificate programs. Some of the degrees offered are:
|American Multicultural Studies||Environmental Studies|
|Art (History, Studio, Film)||Global Studies|
|Computer Science & Engineering||Physics|
|Criminology & Criminal Justice Studies||Sociology|
|Early Childhood Studies||Theater Arts|
|Electrical Engineering||Women’s and Gender Studies|
American Language Institute
1801 East Cotati Avenue
Sonoma State University
Rohnert Park California 94928-3609
American Language Institute