‘Greetings from Austin’ postcard mural on South 1st Street
Studying abroad in the United States offers students the chance to experience incredible cultural, entertainment and education opportunities. With so many great cities across the country, it can be difficult to decide on a single location to study. One city full of opportunity is Austin, Texas. Austin has an abundance of schools with great educational programs, a rich, diverse culture and incredible entertainment options.
The Austin cityscape at sunset
Is this city the perfect fit for you? Here’s a closer look at Austin, Texas.
- Everything’s bigger in Texas: Named for Stephen F. Austin, the “Father of Texas,” Austin is the capital of the state of Texas. After railroads were first built in Austin in 1871, the city grew in size and diversity, adding people from all over the world to the population.
Inside the Blanton Museum of Art
Today, Austin has a population of more than 920,000 people, making it the eleventh most populous city in the United States. The state of Texas is known for its size, and is often associated with the phrase “Everything is Bigger in Texas!”
Austin’s Capital Building
- Austin culture: Austin is very well known for its rich culture, especially its art. The city attracts visitors from around the globe each year for its world class museums, seasonal festivals and art exhibitions. One of the better known museums is the Blanton Museum of Art, located on the campus of The University of Texas at Austin. The museum features approximately 18,000 works of modern and contemporary art.
Early evening on the hip South Congress Avenue (SOCO)
Austin also has a thriving business culture, attracting young professionals to begin their careers in the city. Among the many flourishing industries in Austin, technology is especially prevalent, with many college graduates beginning engineering and computer science careers in the city following graduation. To promote the diversity and importance of small, local businesses in the city, the Austin Independent Business Alliance adopted the slogan “Keep Austin Weird,” which is now often used as the unofficial slogan for the city.
Summer fun at Barton Creek Greenbelt
- Dance to the music: Known as the "Live Music Capital of the World," Austin is the home to numerous live music venues, featuring everything from orchestras to music festivals. This music scene brings in some of the biggest names in music from around the world, but also features local musicians getting their start in the industry.
Marquee for the SXSW Interactive Conference
Each March, Austin hosts South by Southwest Film (SXSW), which brings people together to experience film, music festivals, interactive media and conferences. This past year, President Barack Obama presented at the festival as the Interactive Keynote Speaker.
President Obama at South by Southwest in 2016
- Education options: The most important part of studying abroad is unquestionably the education you’ll receive. Austin has numerous colleges and universities with a variety of programs that will fit the needs and expectations of any student. The University of Texas at Austin, founded in 1883, is one of the largest universities in the United States with an undergraduate enrollment of more than 30,000 students. Students can find their niche through the school’s many programs and the more than 900 clubs offered at the school. Another notable university in Austin is St. Edwards University – a smaller university offering more than 50 degree options for students.
Texas spirit at a UT Austin football game
- Moving in: Moving to a new area is never easy, especially in a city as large as Austin. If you are interested in living off-campus and need to find an affordable apartment in a safe neighborhood, ApartmentSearch.com is a great resource to use. The tool allows you to search for an apartment in your ideal location, while also showing you the cost of living, local restaurants, the length of your commute and more. If your apartment is unfurnished, furniture rental is an economical and hassle-free way to furnish your home. CORT, the leading provider of furniture rental in the U.S., furnishes thousands of student apartments with everything from beds and sofas to housewares and electronics – all with affordable rental package options.
Sixth Street in downtown Austin
If you’re looking for a city with diversity, opportunity and warm weather, Austin, Texas, may be the perfect place for you. If you’re interested in learning more, be sure to research all of the great features of Austin!
See below for more photos of the Austin area.
Pennybacker Bridge, which crosses Lake Austin and the Colorado River, viewed from a field of wildflowers
Sunrise over the Austin skyline